The winning team was decided by an on-the-day presentation to a group of academics from the University of Nottingham.
The Academy Excellence Awards recognise the outstanding academic achievements of students aged 16 – 19 studying at academies in England. This year students representing more than 300 academies across England were challenged to write an essay in response to questions set by experts at The University of Nottingham.
The winning students are (by subject):
- Art: Jack Templeman, Year 12, Bishop Wordsworth’s Grammar School
- Biology: Joy Aston, Year 13, KEVI Camp Hill School for Girls
- Chemistry: Aaron Page, Year 12, Highcliffe School
- Design & Technology: Emma Carter, Year 12, Invicta Grammar School
- Economics: Benn Cowell, Year 12, Darwen Aldridge Community Academy
- English: Katriana Johnes, Year 12, Lancaster Girls' Grammar School
- Geography: Sophie Logue, Year 13, Southend High School for Boys
- History: Alice Pickthall, Year 12, Lancaster Girls’ Grammar School
- Mathematics: Kayleigh Higgins, Year 11, Walton Girls’ High School
- Music: Aaron Collins-Wood, Year 12, Garforth Academy
- Physics: Ann Sebastian, Year 12, The Tiffin Girls' School
- Politics: Joseph Trail, Year 13, Landau Forte College
- Team award: Amanpreet Nandhra, Merunisa Nazam, Shazia Jehan, Iffat Ahmad and Hajrah Zafar, Year 12, KEVI Camp Hill School for Girls
The winner in each category received £1,000 cash and a “money can’t buy” work experience placement with one of the Awards’ sponsors and partners: National Portrait Gallery, Alliance Boots, GlaxoSmithKline, British Sugar, Grant Thornton Associates, The Old Vic Theatre, Vodafone Foundation, Sotheby’s, Northgate Managed Services, Dawn Capital, Ashurst LLP, the Royal College of Music and The University of Nottingham.
Schools Minister Lord Hill said: “The winners of the Academy Excellence Awards should be very proud of their achievements. They have shown real talent and passion in their subjects and will no doubt go on to do great things.
“As more and more schools become Academies, I look forward to more taking part in this competition in the coming years.”
For more information, visit www.academyexcellenceawards.co.uk.